Today, the real fun begins. By the way, I received you article and it was very expertly written. I am very optimistic that you are going to get to places with your style of writing!
So, What is SEO Writing
SEO writing involves writing articles to help a client’s website rank well in Google and other search engines such as Yahoo and Bing. The main reason why clients are concerned with good rankings for their websites is very simple:
Good rankings equate to more traffic/visitors to their websites, which equates to more earnings for them.
Many clients hire freelance writers to create articles for them. As a freelance writer, you need to understand the qualities of a good SEO article in order to make sure that the article has served its purpose and that the client is contented with the content you have created for them.
In a nutshell, here is what makes up a good SEO article:
- Headline/Title of the Article– The headline of your SEO articles must be captivating, include the main keyword and be less than 65 characters in length. Google truncates titles at 70 characters and your client will need to have articles whose whole title is visible in the search engines.
- The First Paragraph of your article– Unless otherwise stated, make sure that you have used the keyword provided once in the first paragraph of your article. Additionally, clients looking for SEO articles appreciate it if you can dive right into the topic provided. Remember, you are being paid according to the number of words written and a client wants to capture as much information as possible within the number of words he is paying you to write.
- Formatting Your Article- Unless the client has given you strict instructions to write in prose, make sure that you make use of subheadings and bullet points as much as possible in your article. Keep the paragraphs short- at most three sentences long.
- Style of Writing– Write in second person point of view. Address the reader ar ‘you’ as this makes for more engagement with the audience. Although you will use the web to research your content, make sure that your content does not contain plagiarized material. Never pick off phrases from another author’s work and duplicate them as your own. Instead, paraphrase the information you come across when you are researching the content.
- Finalizing your article– Before you submit your work, make sure that you have checked it for unintentional plagiarism instances. There are several free online plagiarism checkers you can use to do this. I personally recommend you use Duplichecker.
Where to Find SEO Article Writing Jobs?
<< Test First Name >>, Now that you know what goes into an SEO article, why don’t we take a quick second to analyze the places where you can actually come across your first SEO article writing job.
There are several places where you can find SEO Writing jobs but I personally recommend the following four websites:
If you would like to land your first writing job very fast, head over tohttp://www.freelancer.com and create an account with basic free membership. There are many article writing jobs in Freelancer but many of them are low paying. So, if you really trust in the power of your writing craft, you should probably bypass Freelancer.
oDesk pays well and is friendly to non-native writers. A lot of Kenyans work in oDesk. I a later chapter, I will discuss what really goes into becoming a top freelancer in oDesk and Elance (see below). For now, head over tohttp://www.odesk.com sign up for an account and start familiarizing yourself with the platform.
Elance works like oDesk. Kindly visit the platform right now and create an account. When creating your profile, make sure you have selected that you want to work on the writing and translation category. We have a whole lesson coming up on what you need to do in order to be successful in both oDesk and Elance.
iWriter is by far the best place for a new freelance writer to start. However, if your writing skills are not up to par, please do not attempt to start your career in iWriter. Your account will get banned if clients are not satisfied with your work and give you low low rating.
There is also another downside to working in iWriter. Some few years ago, iWriter blacklisted many Kenyan IPs from accessing their website. If you access the internet using Safaricom or Orange internet, chances are that you won’t be able to access the iWriter platform. Airtel, Zuku and other ISP providers are however still able to access iWriter.
I have a whole lesson set aside to discussing iWriter. However, if you would rather not wait, head over to the platform and try completing an article that is in your level. You will like it.
Where Else Can You Get SEO Article Writing Jobs
So far so good. But remember we don’t want to limit ourselves to getting freelance writing jobs from these websites where we are competing with every other freelancer in the world. Instead, it pays if you can extend your wings a little wider, move out of the comfort zone and proactively request clients to hire you.
I am a big proponent of cold-calling, and I will show you how you can contact business owners with requests for SEO article writing jobs. Cold-calling works best if you are an expert writer in a certain field. The best clients to cold-ca;; are small businesses that are advertising their businesses in Google and Facebook. Simply find such businesses, get their contact information and shoot them a message requesting to write them content for pay. It is as simple as that but it is best to first build a portfolio before you can start cold calling.
If you are serious about your writing business, if you are not doing it to simply get you through a rough financial patch, you should think of starting a blog to document your journey as a freelance writer and to serve as a central contact area where clients can get you. In a later lesson, we will see how you can start a professional blog that will attract clients to you.
That is it for now. Any questions? Remember to shoot me an email or contact me on Facebook.